Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Morganfield's


Have you ever had one of those experiences where you didn’t understand exactly what was going on but you knew you were in the midst of something great? It is like what I imagine it would have been like to see Jimi Hendrix before he was The Experience. Think about what it would have been like to see him really early in his career, like his first bus tour early.  You may not have truly understood how revolutionary, how progressive and how influential he would be, but you knew it was good.

That is a little what my first trip to Morganfield's was like. Immediately I knew the food was fantastic. The smoked meats were some of the best I’ve had in a town where smoked meats are scarce. The sides were classic, yet unique and inspired.  



The first thing I noticed when I walked in the front door at Morganfield's is it doesn’t really look like any other BBQ place we have visited. It has an industrial feel with concrete floors and walls and an exposed beam ceiling. It didn’t feel like a BBQ joint and it didn’t feel like an upscale restaurant. It had more of a hip neighborhood bar vibe than anything else. 

The ribs were sweet, spicy&sticky. They had a great texture with just the right amount of pull and bite. Like all the meat, the smoke was present and complimented the meat, rub, and other flavors really well.



Morganfield's uses a coarse grind for their sausage which is pretty unique. There was a distinct pink smoke ring and pieces of herbs visible on the bias cut pieces. It was very tender and tasted fresh. Overall, it was quite enjoyable.

I arrived late, so I wasn't able to partake in any of the fun facts & insights discussed by the chefs. I also was not aware of the type of food that they'll be serving but once the meal was served, the value started to sink in. You don’t typically find that kind of care in plating a BBQ meal as you will see at Morganfield's. After my first bite, I was hooked. My mind was conflicted. Do I accept this new place, less than a year old at the time, as an awesome soon-to-be BGC City's Rib Shack landmark? Well, after reflection, I sure do. They are successfully changing the experience of ribs while serving some of the finest smoked meats you will see anywhere. I recommend giving them a try.




















No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...