Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Book Review

 

I wasn’t going to do a book review so soon, but I snatched up a copy of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child yesterday afternoon, and have already read my way through it. Don’t worry, I won’t be hiding any spoilers in here for you (trust me, that’s my biggest pet peeve). Since I went through it so quickly, I couldn’t wait to talk about it!

 

At first I was about to dismiss this book as I did with some of the others that came after the “original” Harry Potter series, but I am so glad I didn’t!

First of all, as you may already know, this book is actually the script to the new play in London of the same name. That can take a bit of time to get used to as you’re reading, but once you’re into the flow of the story, it won’t phase you anymore. It is well written, and you really get to know some of the characters you haven’t met before who are very endearing.

As with every Harry Potter story, there are some twists and turns you can’t foresee coming, and you struggle to think of how they will get themselves out of the trouble they find themselves in. It’s a thrill to be taken along for the ride.

During my reading, I kept trying to imagine how they would accomplish to create some of the effects on stage, so now I have a thirst to watch the play for myself. In movies there are plenty of special effects at disposal, so it will be fascinating to watch it happen in real time.

 

Since it was written in script form, it was much faster to get through than the other books. In total there are 308 pages, much of which has double spacing to break apart the dialogue and the setting of the scene. I enjoyed being able to read how the scene would be set at the beginning of each “chapter” or scene as it says in the book. It helped me establish what I wanted it to look like before I began to read and I found that helped me create it more visually in my mind which in turn made it more enjoyable. I went back and forth between picturing the original actors to picturing the ones from the play which I have previously seen photos of.

I highly recommend this book to any Harry Potter fan. Don’t dismiss it because it’s not part of the original series. It is well worth the read.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...